The AAJA-NY Chapter is offering ONE $750 internship stipend to ONE AAJA NY member for the summer semester. Eligible candidates must be interning part-time or full-time in the journalism industry for at least 10 weeks.
Several factors will be considered including financial need, journalism experience/interest and AAJA participation and volunteering.
– Send a 300- to 400-word essay explaining financial need, journalism goals, expected graduation date and past participation with AAJA.
– You must also send proof of internship (a letter from your supervisor stating the start and end date of your internship) and your most recent college transcript. The deadline to apply for the summer internship stipend is Sunday, June 18.
The recipient will be notified by June 23, and the disbursement of the stipend will be done over the course of the internship. The first half of the stipend ($375) will be given shortly after recipient is notified. The second half ($375) will be given when the recipient’s employer confirms the internship has been completed.
Please send all required documents and the essay as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Eligibility and Rules:
- Applicants must be an AAJANew York Chapter member in good standing and have a serious interest in pursuing journalism as a career. Click here renew your membership or sign up.
- Applicants must have already secured a 2017 summer internship before applying for the stipend. The stipend is to be used toward living expenses and/or transportation during your internship. Accepted applicants will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging this.
- An essay, current transcript and a letter from your internship’s supervisor must be submitted as one PDF no later than June 15. To select the winners, the scholarshipcommittee considers several factors, including financial need, journalism experience, and AAJAparticipation/volunteering.
- There is no location requirement for this stipend.
- The recipient is required to volunteer at at least one AAJA-NY event or help with the chapter’s online presence.All applicants are encouraged to attend chapter events.